Thursday, April 22, 2010

You Don't See Me

'You Don't See Me.' The title of one of my favorite songs by the amazing band Keane. I think its meaning could be interpreted a lot of different ways, but for me it is the Earth Day anthem. We all get in such a hurry with our busy lives, we don't take enough time to enjoy all of the beautiful things on this earth. We don't see it. We don't see each other either. We get wrapped up in the every day and lose sight of what's most important - taking care of this place we call home and taking care of each other.

I have been so disturbed by some of the things I've been hearing and seeing as of late. I'm not one to read too much into things or take everything too seriously - and that's not because I'm shallow or because I don't care. It takes a lot to make me upset, but recently that's just how I've been feeling. Disappointed and upset. I don't talk about politics or religion with most people, especially people that I like. I don't feel it's worth losing a friend over when I tell them that I support our president, though I don't agree with everything he's doing. That I voted for him and I'm not sorry. That I haven't been to church in a very long time because I'm not too sure how I feel about it all or where I belong. I mean, I'm not an idiot. People don't always see eye to eye on everything and it'd be boring if they did. I'm all for standing up for what's right and fighting for what you believe in. Things in this country (and this world) are a freaking mess. We are hurting. But it's not going to get better with people acting the way they are. Blaming others does very little to fix anything. All it does is deepen the divide. Trash isn't the only thing that poisons the earth - hatred, intolerance and disrespect are the worst forms of pollution. A little compassion, a little respect and a little humility would go such a long way.

I have no idea how many people actually read this thing or even care what a stay-at-home mom who lives in the suburbs has to say about stuff like this. I don't expect to make a huge difference with this blog or change anyone's mind about anything. It is what it is! That's why I usually keep it fairly lighthearted and stick to what I love! My love of music, family, baking and home renovation!!

Speaking of those things!! The kids and I had a super fun Earth Day today - playing at the lake, going on a nature walk, reading about our planet in school, baking some 'Earth Day' bar cookies and spending time with friends. And tomorrow we're going to see the movie 'Oceans' in the afternoon. And I hope to be able to post some pictures of some of the bedroom renovations as soon as they're finished..... or as finished as I usually ever get things! Abby's room is done so we're just waiting on her headboard to be delivered. Ethan's ceiling and trim are all painted and I'll be painting the walls this weekend. Hopefully I'll be able to order his bed and other furniture within the next week or two. I had to go in a different direction than I had originally planned since the bed I had wanted is no longer available. But as it happens, I found one I like better and it's less money!! Woo hoo!!!

Well, that's all for now. I hope you have a wonderful Earth Day and that you're able to see the beauty around you, maybe even where you'd least expect it!!! ;)

No comments:

About Blogging Molly

My photo
I am a mom to three great kids - Ethan is 12, Abby is 9 and Lulu (Olivia) is 5. I've been married to my highschool sweetheart for almost fourteen years. I love to paint, renovate and live for anything DIY. I love music and I love to bake. I also teach dance at a local studio. Thanks for stopping by my blog!!!

What I'm listening to.....


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

My People