Thursday, July 15, 2010

New Music 7/15/2010 'Hey Champ'

I should really be doing the dishes right now, but instead I thought I'd take the time to update this blog. The dishes aren't going anywhere right? It's been quite awhile since I've written about new music and I am so excited to be able to write about Hey Champ's new album!!!!

Photobucket

'Star' just came out two days ago and I think I've listened to it at least a bajillion times since then. My younger brother introduced me to Hey Champ about a year ago when they only had a couple of singles out. We were in the city for the Keane concert. Hey Champ was playing at a bar near my brother's place, so we met him there for some drinks. Pete, the keyboard player, actually used to be the roommate of one of his buddies so he sort of knows him.... sorry, a little name dropping there. Pete is ridiculous on synth though. So awesome. Anyways, we got to see them play which was amazing.

Photobucket

Saam Hagshenas (vocals, lead guitar, keys), Jon Marks (drums, vocals, keys) and Pete (Pete!!!!!) Dougherty (keys, synth) are just a bunch of midwest guys from Rockford, IL. Proteges of the super famous Lupe Fiasco, these guys have been hitting it hard writing and touring all over the US. Their first single 'Cold Dust Girl' has been in my rotation for awhile and the video was recently featured on MTV's Buzzworthy Blog. You cannot listen to that song and keep standing still. It's impossible. In fact, the entire album is highly danceable. But underneath all of the hypnotic electro-rock beats and fab 80s inspired synth, there is a pretty intense theme and message to 'Star.' Some of the lyrics are less than uplifting, but then again so are a lot of things going on in the world right now. If I had to pick a favorite track, I would say it's 'Word = War.' "My word is my war. So lay down your sword. Cuz you'd be ill advised to fight anymore." It's about words being used as weapons. And of course I love 'Cold Dust Girl' and 'Face Control.' And 'Neverest' and 'Shake.' Okay, wait. I guess I can't pick a favorite!!!

I decided instead of posting a bunch of vids I would just put all of their songs on my playlist so you can listen to it all the way through. I am going to post some videos for some of the remixes they've done because they are really, really great at remixes too. In fact, they'll be playing at the Lolla Remix Throwdown in Chicago on August 1st so go check them out! For now, enjoy the album from start to finish on my playlist and here are a few amazing remixes......

'Beaches and Friends' by French Horn Rebellion - Hey Champ Remix - this is pure summer right freakin here


'Beatbox' by The Sounds - Hey Champ Remix


'Cooler Than Me' by Mike Posner - Hey Champ Remix


'Little Secrets' by Passion Pit - Hey Champ Remix


'What You Need' by Priors - Hey Champ Remix


'Say No' by Moneypenny - Hey Champ Remix


'Call On Me' by Andy Bell - Hey Champ Remix


So after some relentless touring, a label change and lots of hype, I'm happy to say that 'Star' is no let down. I predict big things from this band out of Rockford!!! So buy the album, tell your friends and tell them to tell their friends!!! You can download 'Star' here for only $5.99 http://www.heychamp.com/home Your ears and hips will thank you!!!!

1 comment:

Kelly LaFramboise said...

I love it! Thanks for recommending this band to me! Yowza. I'm hooked.

About Blogging Molly

My photo
I am a mom to three great kids - Ethan is 12, Abby is 9 and Lulu (Olivia) is 5. I've been married to my highschool sweetheart for almost fourteen years. I love to paint, renovate and live for anything DIY. I love music and I love to bake. I also teach dance at a local studio. Thanks for stopping by my blog!!!

What I'm listening to.....


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

My People