Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Paint It Black

I love fall. I love everything about it. The food, the sweaters, the football playing in the background, the cooler weather, the trick-or-treating, etc. There's just something about fall and the change of seasons that makes me want to renovate. We've been doing a bit of sprucing up around the outside of the house and it's really coming together! One thing almost always leads to another when it comes to home renovations as far as I'm concerned. So this weekend while painting the trim around the front door, I decided it was time to take off that old screen door. It's nice to be able to open the door and let in the fresh air, but honestly the door was toast. It was faded, broken and we've never had a key for it since we bought this house on foreclosure. So off it came!!! It looks a lot better.

Door without fugly screen door... before I painted it a new color.....
Photobucket

Photobucket

I have been needing to paint the front door for awhile - it's dirty, scratched and faded - plus I am kind of over its color. My mom suggested a black door which I thought would look pretty great! So I picked up some paint at Menard's today and painted it black after we were done with school. The paint color is called "gargoyle shadow" and I absolutely adore it. It isn't quite black black, but more of a grayish black with just enough brown so that it compliments our hardware and the colors in the brick. I will also be painting the faded poo brown shutters to match the door. Crappy thing is that I can't get them off the house - the screws won't budge. Minor detail. I will just have to get on a ladder to do it. So ya..... I will be sure to post pictures when it's all finished!! For now here are the "during" photos.

Photobucket
I love this color!! It's Dutchboy's new "maxbond" paint and primer in one and it's called 'gargoyle shadow.' Love!!!

Photobucket
From afar - don't mind my paint mess.... you can see I have one shutter done on the right. It looks so much better! I knew they were faded, but yowza!

Photobucket
Proof that you CAN paint just about anything. Kevin was all worried about painting the shutters since they're vinyl, but this paint is supposed to stick to any surface and it seems to so far..... shutter on the left is painted, shutter on the right hasn't been painted. See the difference???

So that project is coming along just fine. Other things on the agenda are staining the concrete out front, getting new house numbers, maybe painting the garage door and planting some sort of flowers in a big awesome pot next to the front door. Not sure if it's too early for fall foliage or not, but I'm gonna check it out today!! :) Fall. It's on.

No comments:

About Blogging Molly

My photo
I am a mom to three great kids - Ethan is 12, Abby is 9 and Lulu (Olivia) is 5. I've been married to my highschool sweetheart for almost fourteen years. I love to paint, renovate and live for anything DIY. I love music and I love to bake. I also teach dance at a local studio. Thanks for stopping by my blog!!!

What I'm listening to.....


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

My People