Friday, June 10, 2011

Cane You Believe I'm Doing This??

Cane chairs. Remember them? My mom had one back in the 80s. Well, what's old is new again because cane chairs are making a HUGE comeback in the design scene. They have great lines, are afforable and pretty easy to find if you know where to look. I have been stalking my local garage sale website and craigslist, but most of the cane chairs I've come across have either been in rotten shape or more than I'm willing to pay.

Since Kevin is on vacation, we decided to check out the local thrift store in hopes of finding the perfect chair. Thrift & Dollar on Lake Street in downtown Aurora - how did I not know about this place?! They had the coolest old stuff!! And talk about hitting the chair jackpot!! It was a wonderland of cane chairs!!! Yay!!! We picked up this beauty for all of $24. Woo hoo!!

Photobucket

I should have taken a photo before I ripped the back off. The fabric is toast and so are the guts, so I will be replacing the back and seat with new foam as well as fabric. Pulling all these staples out is going to be pretty time consuming. And since I've never really upholstered anything before, I don't really know what I'm doing. But for $24, I'm not out too much money if it turns out looking like crap right??

I'll be the first to say I've never been big into thrifting. Something about other people's old stuff freaks me out a little bit. It's not really a germ thing, but more of a past life thing. Furniture can have a past life right??? Ahhhhhhhh!!!! Let's just hope I didn't bring home a possessed chair. My plans for this thrifty beauty are undecided as of yet. I could go black or white as far as paint color. If the chair gets painted black, I'll probably go with a striking white fabric for contrast. If it gets painted white, the fabric will either be yellow or blue - maybe a print. Either way, I think it will make the perfect bedroom chair! Here are some of my inspiration photos....

Photobucket
Black & yellow, black & yellow!!

Photobucket
white looks nice too & would match my bed...

Photobucket
love the contrast

Photobucket
white & blue

Photobucket
so fun!

Photobucket
Love how they look in a room!

Photobucket
Different style, but I love the black with the white fabric

Photobucket
Another different style, but I love the print on this fabric!

Decisions, decisions!! Stay tuned for a more detailed tutorial of the chair demo. Hopefully it isn't a giant chair fail. I can't wait to see how it looks in its new home in my master bedroom!!

No comments:

About Blogging Molly

My photo
I am a mom to three great kids - Ethan is 12, Abby is 9 and Lulu (Olivia) is 5. I've been married to my highschool sweetheart for almost fourteen years. I love to paint, renovate and live for anything DIY. I love music and I love to bake. I also teach dance at a local studio. Thanks for stopping by my blog!!!

What I'm listening to.....


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

My People