Tuesday, May 27, 2008

A website I had to share...

So if you've been following along so far on my blog journey, you are learning how random I am! The order of the blogs will make no sense - just whatever comes to mind at the time and whatever I feel is worth sharing with all of you!


So far, I've blogged about home stuff and music. Homeschool is pretty much out for the summer (even tho it doesn't feel like summer! Yesterday was 85 and today it's only 58! WTF?!) so there won't be a lot going on there for a little while. But on the subject of school, I never really cared for it while I was in it. I didn't hate it and I didn't flunk out, but it just was okay. I did love history though. Something about the past intrigues me. I love seeing the way people used to live and the lessons we can learn through their stories. One of THE coolest websites I have come across is about one of the most horrific accidents of our time. The Chernobyl disaster. I came across the site by accident one day and shared it with my dad first, as he is a nuclear radiation technician for Commonwealth Edison Nuclear Power Station so I thought he's appreciate it. He's worked there for at least twenty years I think (I've lost track) and I've always found his job interesting to hear about. Although I don't always understand the terminology!

Anyways, here is the link.

http://www.kiddofspeed.com/chernobyl%2Drevisited/

The author is a very smart, witty young woman who rides her motorcycle through what is called the "dead zone" with nothing but a radiation detector and her sense of humor. It takes awhile to read, but what she documents is so interesting to me that I had to share it. The pictures of the ghost towns and her account of what happened are truly haunting. I think it's a great tribute to all those who perished and to those who still live with the economic effects of the disaster that cripple the area to this day.

No comments:

About Blogging Molly

My photo
I am a mom to three great kids - Ethan is 12, Abby is 9 and Lulu (Olivia) is 5. I've been married to my highschool sweetheart for almost fourteen years. I love to paint, renovate and live for anything DIY. I love music and I love to bake. I also teach dance at a local studio. Thanks for stopping by my blog!!!

What I'm listening to.....


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

My People