Saturday, June 6, 2009

Summer Project Fun

I'm not sure Kevin would agree with me about the fun part, but it is summer and we are getting some projects finished. As usual, we started new ones when old ones weren't finished! I guess turning 30 didn't change me for the better in that whole 'finish what I started' aspect, but oh well. You can't change overnight!

Since we've been having a lot of cool, rainy weather here (what IS up with that?!) we've been able to accomplish a lot of indoor things. The fireplace has been quite a dilema since day one - it didn't really serve any purpose the way it was designed and always threw me for a loop as to how to decorate it. Here's how it started....

Just rounded drywall with no trim....
Photobucket

Then we added the tile and molding around it....
Photobucket

And here's how it looked once Kevin added the columns around the tv....
Photobucket

And here's where we are now - we added another canister light above the tv and the crown molding around the tops of the columns and drywalled behind the tv....
Photobucket

And the other side that faces the front room has a black wall sconce for extra lighting on the right side and eventually I'll hang a big black framed mirror above the fireplace....
Photobucket

Eventually the columns will have more molding on the fronts of them and everything will be painted white. We'll also add a shelf above the components next to the tv for dvds and other stuff. So we're getting there!!!

I found some wall frames for my gallery wall above the couch. I have bunches of old family photos from my side and Kevin's side of the family that will go up there. Should be cool, but for now here's how it looks!

Photobucket

And this weekend we got the last room of carpet ripped out - Liv's room! Yay! It feels great to be rid of it. Kevin's at Menard's right now getting the new subfloor and then we'll be sticking flooring all night! More pictures to follow when that's all finished. Then all we'll really have left to do is to put the quarter round down in the upstairs. I am still super impressed with the Novalis flooring. It does scuff a bit, but it's not any worse than hard wood would be. And we've only had to replace one plank where I dropped something and it dented it. All we did was heat it up with the heat gun, pull it up and put a new one down. Pretty simple!!!

So that's it for now. As soon as the fireplace is done, I'll be sure to post some pictures of that. For now, we're just over here working on it! ;)

No comments:

About Blogging Molly

My photo
I am a mom to three great kids - Ethan is 12, Abby is 9 and Lulu (Olivia) is 5. I've been married to my highschool sweetheart for almost fourteen years. I love to paint, renovate and live for anything DIY. I love music and I love to bake. I also teach dance at a local studio. Thanks for stopping by my blog!!!

What I'm listening to.....


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

My People