Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Do You See What I See?

I've been pondering over what to hang on the walls since we painted them way back before Christmas. One wall in particular that's always been a big question mark for me is the wall opposite our kitchen table. It's an odd little wall that isn't really big enough for any sort of buffet or hutch or even really any shelves. But whatever gets put there needs to really make a statement. It's a dilema, I know. I thought about doing a grouping of frames but I've done that before. I thought about a big piece of art, but nothing I've seen has really spoken to me. I've gone back and forth about a big floor mirror, but worried about the size. Size is always an issue isn't it? And I wondered, "do I really WANT to see myself eating?"

Sooooooo, after much debate we took a trip to Ikea on a Sunday afternoon (don't ever go to Ikea on a Sunday, by the way) and picked up the black/brown framed Mongstad mirror. At only $99, it stole my heart without stealing all of my money. I was worried, but I am really happy with how it looks on the wall. It's big enough, but not too big. And you actually can't see yourself eating because of the fact that the wall isn't really in line with the table so much. Win!! Here's how it looks from a couple of different angles....

From the family room:
Photobucket

It works out nice because the frame of the mirror is the same finish as the shelves just around the corner in the front room:
Photobucket

From the kitchen:
Photobucket

Phew. It feels good to have at least one wall out of the way! Now I can focus on the walls over the couches!! Stay tuned!!!

5 comments:

Veronica said...

Looks Beautiful...you have done an amazing job on your house.

Ali Foley Shenk said...

Pretty! I like the simple, but grand statement it makes. Where did you get the mirror?

Anonymous said...

I know the post was on the mirror but I LOVE the chalk wall you have in your kitchen. Cute blog!
form2form.wordpress.com

Anonymous said...

I've had a crush on that mirror from Ikea for years now! LOVE it!! I'm impressed you could hang it! Is it very heavy? I'd be afraid it would pull the drywall out...

Molly said...

It's about 66 lbs, so we went and bought a box of those wall anchors that can hold 50+ lbs each. We ended up drilling into a stud on the left side, so even better! It has metal brackets that come down over the head of the screw, so it's not like you can just pull it down off the wall. You'd have to lift up quite a bit and then pull. So far so good!

About Blogging Molly

My photo
I am a mom to three great kids - Ethan is 12, Abby is 9 and Lulu (Olivia) is 5. I've been married to my highschool sweetheart for almost fourteen years. I love to paint, renovate and live for anything DIY. I love music and I love to bake. I also teach dance at a local studio. Thanks for stopping by my blog!!!

What I'm listening to.....


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

My People