Monday, September 5, 2011

DIY Carriage Garage Door

Ever wonder what to do to make your plain builder garage door look like one of those expensive carriage house doors? Me too. But wonder no more! Thanks to some $25 ebay hardware, a small can of black rustoleum paint and some painters tape, I now have a very cool door!

I found this idea on pinterest (of course!) and the hardware I got here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Decorative-Garage-Door-Carriage-House-Hardware-/290560599077?pt=Garage_Doors_Openers&hash=item43a6c2e425
This wasn't a difficult or time consuming project at all, BUT you have to make sure you're careful when taping. I *thought* I had purchased the green "frog" tape at Menard's but it actually turned out to be the blue tape wrapped in a green label. How confusing right? So instead of going back to the store to exchange it, I went for it and used the blue tape. The black paint bled pretty bad, so now I have to go back over the edges with a smaller brush and some white paint. The line down the middle of the garage to make it look like two separate doors bled the worst. Ugh!!!

Here is a photo of the "during" process. There's only one coat of black gloss paint on the faux windows at this point. I did three coats.

Photobucket

Here is the street view of the door all finished. If you get up close, you can obviously tell the windows are painted on. But I don't care!! I think it looks so much better than it did when it was just a plain, white door!!

Photobucket

We have been busy cleaning and organizing the garage these past couple of weeks. The walls are all drywalled and painted. The doors on the inside are painted and we're getting ready to epoxy the floor in the next couple of weeks. Our garage has been this dark, junky place since we've lived here. Everything we didn't want inside the house just got chucked out there. We're trying to make it more of an extension of our home, so I thought the doors needed a facelift too! Stay tuned for photos of the finished garage renovation!!

11 comments:

Kerita said...

Your garage door does look expensive and classy with those materials installed. It goes to show that you just have to be a smart shopper. There are a lot inexpensive and classy items you can find for your garage door.

Kerita Kantz

Nicole-Lynn said...

It looks so much better! Great idea! :)

Sibbie said...

Hi Molly,
I had a great idea today. Transform that plain white garage door with carriage house hardware...original huh? I then started searching for the hardware and up popped your blog. Great minds think alike I always say ;-) Thank you so much for the photos, which look incredible, and for the Ebay info. I'm ordering mine right now.
Sure beats $2000+ each for new doors!
Best regards from a fellow DIYer. I live for this stuff.
Sibbie from San Angelo, Texas

sania julley said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
sania julley said...

your garage door looks so good but i think so its to much expensive. we are providing repair garage door services while our company working since long time.Gurnee Garage Doors

Anonymous said...

Finding it tough to roll up your garage or you are unable to open your horizontal garage gates smoothly and automatically? Then you'd better check whether it is still working properly. If your door snaps and gets jammed through its rolling, one of the possible problems that might have caused it is the spring's performance.

Garage Doors New York City

Unknown said...

That looks amazing! Great idea!

Elizabeth J. Neal said...

I have to go back over the edges with a smaller brush and some white paint. The line down the middle of the garage to make it look like two separate doors bled the worst. Ugh!!! garage door repair

Anonymous said...

Here garage door repair south san francisco , you may choose varieties of style you want and at very accessible and affordable budget. Come visit and prove it to yourself!

Unknown said...

I have read your article, it is very informative and helpful for me.I admire the valuable information you offer in your articles. Thanks for posting it..
window and door replacement company

sarah jon wilson said...

Your Garage door looks beautiful!
I also agree with you on "I think it looks so much better than it did when it was just a plain, white door!"
garage door off tracks .

About Blogging Molly

My photo
I am a mom to three great kids - Ethan is 12, Abby is 9 and Lulu (Olivia) is 5. I've been married to my highschool sweetheart for almost fourteen years. I love to paint, renovate and live for anything DIY. I love music and I love to bake. I also teach dance at a local studio. Thanks for stopping by my blog!!!

What I'm listening to.....


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

My People