Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Cabin Fever

The holidays are over and we have a long stretch of winter ahead of us, folks. It's only the beginning on January, yet the cabin fever is beginning to set in already. As a mom, I can only try so hard to muster up excitement for the winter activities my kids enjoy - snow days of sledding, hot cocoa, etc. I am already so over it! The fact that it gets dark so fricking early is not helping either. People are so crabby too!! Have you noticed that or is it just me? Post-holiday letdown is in full effect, so watch out!

I am dreaming of summer!! Cooking out, sangria/margaritas on the patio, going out for ice cream, bike rides around the lake, running through the sprinkler, chatting with the neighbors in the backyard while the kids run around... I will NOT complain about winter because it is so counter productive. Not to mention the fact that I know I am not alone in feeling like this. You're stuck inside, you move less and eat more. It's easy to get down! I looked around online and found a list of things (on http://www.momstoday.com) that you can do to "fight cabin fever." Here they are, in no particular order:

1) Don't be alone too much. This is especially key for homeschoolers like myself. Get together with friends, other moms, family. Even if you can't go out, it's nice to have people over for coffee and just talk.

2) Take some time to relax. Find something that helps you calm down a focus. For me, I love a nice, warm bath. Even though I shower every morning, I like to take a bath every night with candles and just chill. Whatever relaxes you, do that!!!

3) Do something fun together! A craft, cooking dinner, reading poetry or a good book. We like to put on some loud music at least once a day and bust a move. It gets the blood flowing and helps with that pent up energy from being stuck inside.

4) Get out. Even though it's cold and bundling up really sucks, it's important to get fresh air and some sunlight on a regular basis. Germs are so bad because we're all stuck inside with the heat on and windows closed. Taking a quick walk or even opening the windows a crack for a few minutes each day really helps.

5) Help someone in need. During the holidays there are lots of clothing and food drives, but people need clothes and food all year round. Clean out that closet, load up the car and make a donation to your local Good Will. It will make you feel better to declutter AND you'll be helping someone else in the process. Being thankful for what we have and counting our blessings is always a lift to the spirits.

6) Fight the winter blues by bringing a little summer into your life. Have an indoor beach party - complete with a picnic, summer food/drinks, music. *OR* Embrace the time of year - have a pajama day, read books, wear fuzzy slipper, have homemade soup and warm, comfort food. Play fun slumber party games like Twister and Scrabble!

7) Take up a hobby, take a class. It's always good to learn something new!

8) Stay active! It's so easy to over-eat and become a couch potato in the winter. But your body and mind feel so much better when you get exercise on a regular basis. There are lots of great workout dvds out there!!

9) Laugh. It's a known stress reliever. And it's the one contagious thing most people don't mind catching!

10) Know that winter won't last forever!! We've already made it past the longest day of the year! Things can only go up from here!

Everybody always says "take care of yourself or you can't take care of anyone else." It's hard to do that when there are barely enough hours in the day to get everything done. But it's so true. Times are hard and there is so much negativity out there. It's easy to become stressed and overwhelmed especially at this time of year! But it doesn't have to be that way.

I took the time to put together a special 'cabin fever buster' playlist of my favorite summer songs. It will either help you with its happy, upbeatness or it will piss you off. Either way, chin up!!! Together, with these special tools, we can all fight cabin fever!!!

2 comments:

Samantha said...

This was a great post Molly. Thanks for the winterbusting ideas!

Jean said...

Like the playlist!! It was good to see ya today!!

About Blogging Molly

My photo
I am a mom to three great kids - Ethan is 12, Abby is 9 and Lulu (Olivia) is 5. I've been married to my highschool sweetheart for almost fourteen years. I love to paint, renovate and live for anything DIY. I love music and I love to bake. I also teach dance at a local studio. Thanks for stopping by my blog!!!

What I'm listening to.....


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

My People