Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Closer

I skipped my music blog for last week. It's not that I'm having a hard time coming up with bands to put out there, I just space on what to write sometimes. So this week I am taking it down a notch and blogging about a band I have had a relationship with for quite a long time.

Jars of Clay.

I'm sure you've heard of them. They are an amazing Christian rock band that really, in my opinion, changed the entire landscape of worship music. My first experience with them was in high school when I heard the song 'Flood' on the radio. I bought the album and didn't listen to too many of the other songs on it and was a little upset because the album version of 'flood' was WAY stripped down compared to the rocking one on the radio. But, the more I listened to the album the more questions I had about God and faith. So began my journey into the music of Jars of Clay!!

I believe I own every cd they've ever come out with (including the awesome Christmas album from last season). It's hard to pick a favorite. Obviously the most well known album is their first one, but I really love listening to 'The Eleventh Hour' as well. Their music is uplifting in a way that is hard to describe. There are the usual songs of praise and worship, but the thing I love most about Jars of Clay is that they aren't afraid to write/sing about the big questions. The questions we all have and those rough places we all go through. Those times that make you ask why. I always thought being a "good Christian" meant that you followed God with unwavering faith. That you never wondered why or doubted your place or purpose in the world. It is easy to have faith when everything is going your way - but I have learned that it's in the really rotten times we're given the chance to dig deeper. A chance to be closer.

This new song by Jars of Clay is called 'Closer.' It's a super catchy, simple song. Not a ton of deep, thought provoking lyrics going on. But simple works for me and that's what I love about this particular song. Take a listen and see what you think.............



They've also reworked the popular songs 'Flood' and 'Love Song for a Savior' on this EP in a very cool way. And the other two songs, 'Safe to Land' and 'Prisoner of Hope' are just awesome. The full album is due out in the spring of '09, so this is just a taste of what's in store. If we can expect more songs like these, I know I won't be disappointed!!!

No comments:

About Blogging Molly

My photo
I am a mom to three great kids - Ethan is 12, Abby is 9 and Lulu (Olivia) is 5. I've been married to my highschool sweetheart for almost fourteen years. I love to paint, renovate and live for anything DIY. I love music and I love to bake. I also teach dance at a local studio. Thanks for stopping by my blog!!!

What I'm listening to.....


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

My People