Friday, August 29, 2008

Music of da week!!!

You know it's been an interesting week when I haven't posted in this long!!! We've got some odd viral illness going on here now - high fevers and the like. Most likely contracted while visiting our local walk in care last week! That's what I love about doctor's offices! If you weren't sick when you went in, you will be when you leave!!

Friday homeschooling is pretty light, so we're already done for the day and I thought I'd post some music! My good friend Sara (aka OddDotty) was here for our homeschool BBQ last Saturday and made mention of Brandi Carlile. When I first heard of her last year, I thought she must be some distant relative of the ever popular Belinda Carlisle. But the spelling is different and her music is so much different!!! If you don't think you've heard her music, chances are you have and you just didn't know it.....

Photobucket


Brandi was born in 1981 (OMG, so young!!!) in Washington state. At the ripe old age of 15, she started playing the guitar and writing songs. At 16, she became a backup singer for an Elvis impersonator. Before signing to a major record label, Carlile with her twin brothers Tim and Phil Hanseroth, performed in local Seattle bars like The Crocodile, Tractor Tavern, and Queen's Paragon. Once Dave Matthews heard her perform at the 2003 Sasquatch Music Fest, she began to get the attention of the music industry and many others!!

Photobucket

Columbia Records signed Carlile in late 2004 based on the strength of her home recordings. Her 2005 major label debut, 'Brandi Carlile' included some of the home recorded songs and also some newly recorded tracks. Here are a couple of songs from the debut album....



What Can I Say..... no words for how cool this song is...


Throw It All Away.....


Fall Apart Again - I think this might be my fave song of hers



Photobucket

Her second Columbia album, 'The Story', was released in April 2007. It is a crazy good album!!! It's basically indie type folk music and almost borders on country. I do NOT like country music, so if you don't either PLEASE don't let that discourage you from getting this album. Her voice just blew me away when I first heard her songs. It has such depth and reality to it. It crackles and is rough around the edges. Amazon.com said 'think of Patsy Cline performing Radiohead songs.' That is exactly how I would describe it!! I first heard her on, you guessed it.... Grey's Anatomy! It's only one of my fave shows ever. Obviously because of the scandalous storylines and flawed characters, but also because of all the great music they play on the show!! Thank you Grey's for opening up a whole new world of music for so many people!!

They've featured three of her songs: "Tragedy," "What Can I Say," and "Throw It All Away". In April 2007, they put out a version of the video for the single 'The Story' with footage from the show. In May of 2007, a special two-hour episode of the show featured Carlile's song "Turpentine" during footage of the Grey's Anatomy spin-off, Private Practice.

Most recently, Carlile's song "The Story" has been featured in a GM commercial aired during the Beijing Olympic Games. So, if you watched the Olympics you have heard Brandi Carlile!!! If you liked what you heard, please check out some of my other favorite songs from 'The Story'.....

The Story - amazing love song about life, knowing someone so well and loving them anyways....


Late Morning Lullaby - LOVE it!


Wasted - sorry about the dumb, amateur vid for this....just listen to the song!!!


Have You Ever - so beautiful.... awesome song about the question 'why?' Abby sings this at the top of her lungs when it's on!


I look forward to another great album from Brandi and would encourage everyone out there to buy anything she puts out there. Artists like her don't come around very often!!! Thank you to Sara for reminding me of Brandi and my need to blog about her amazing music!!!

1 comment:

odd dotty said...

Woot!! Thank YOU for giving me a reason to watch and listen to her again...not that I need it, but you know, it was still fun!

About Blogging Molly

My photo
I am a mom to three great kids - Ethan is 12, Abby is 9 and Lulu (Olivia) is 5. I've been married to my highschool sweetheart for almost fourteen years. I love to paint, renovate and live for anything DIY. I love music and I love to bake. I also teach dance at a local studio. Thanks for stopping by my blog!!!

What I'm listening to.....


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

My People