Friday, August 1, 2008

Molly's Music for the Week - August 1st!

Can you believe it's August?? I can't!!! Except it sure feels like it. All this hot weather!! Well, last week I blogged about The Postal Service and this week it's on to Death Cab for Cutie. Death Cab started as a small side project for Ben Gibbard (of The Postal Service), but the release of the first album went over so well that he turned it into a full fledged band situation.

Photobucket

They put out a few albums under independant labels - 'You Can Play These Songs With Chords', 'Something About Airplanes', 'We Have the Facts and We're Voting Yes', 'The Photo Album' and 'Translaticism.' Tracks of 'Transatlanticism' were played on shows like The OC, Six Feet Under and CSI: Miami (seriously, how many CSI's are there???). Here are a couple of amazing tracks from 'Transatlanticism', though the entire thing is beautiful.

The New Year


The Sound of Settling


In 2004, they signed with Atlantic (to which all the people freaked out and said they were selling out) and released the album 'Plans.' I think 'Plans' is one of the best albums out there.

Photobucket

I came to the party late because DCFC was already a big deal to most of the moody teenage population. Oh, well. My first run in with Death Cab was in '05 while listening to Q101 upstairs while putting laundry away. 'Soul Meets Body' (from Plans) came on - I sat and listened to the lyrics and melody on the edge of the bed the whole way through. I was in love. They didn't say who the band was, so I plugged some of the lyrics into google and up came Death Cab! I went out and bought the cd the very next day and it's been one of my favorites ever since. Here is a little sample of the goodness that is Death Cab...

Soul Meets Body


I Will Follow You Into the Dark - beautiful song


Crooked Teeth - AWESOME lyrics about a relationship that was doomed from the very beginning...


Marching Bands of Manhatten


Your Heart Is An Empty Room


Okay, so the latest Death Cab album came out in May and I do not personally own it yet. I am scerrred. What if it doesn't live up to my high expectations??? People seem to like it and I have heard a couple of songs, but I have not purchased it yet. With that being said, here is the first single off the album so that you can hear it for yourselves. It's quite lovely, but I feel like the intro is WAYYYYYYY too long. From the bits and pieces I have heard of this album, it is definately a little darker. But not in a bad way!

I Will Possess Your Heart


Here are a couple of others.....

No Sunlight


Cath


But I think someone new to their stuff should start with 'Plans.' In closing, these guys are so uber talented I don't think you could go wrong with any of their albums. The lyrics are always thoughtful and they just have an overall great sound. Come on, you know you're good if you get played on The OC!

No comments:

About Blogging Molly

My photo
I am a mom to three great kids - Ethan is 12, Abby is 9 and Lulu (Olivia) is 5. I've been married to my highschool sweetheart for almost fourteen years. I love to paint, renovate and live for anything DIY. I love music and I love to bake. I also teach dance at a local studio. Thanks for stopping by my blog!!!

What I'm listening to.....


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

My People