Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Molly's Music for the Week - June 6

I didn't have a hard time with this weeks pick!! Jamie Cullum! We went to a Cub's game last week with our friends Joe & Becky and we were telling them how great he is. He's jazzy/blues, but in an offbeat sort of way. We came across his live show on Direct TV's free concert series one night a couple of years ago and have been hooked ever since!

Photobucket

The first album we got was 'Twentysomething.' It was released in '03 and went platinum - making it the #1 selling jazz studio album in the UK. It's such a cool album. Basically he has a few of his own songs on it, but most are jazz remakes of some VERY cool songs by other artists - Wind Cries Mary (Hendrix), High and Dry (Radiohead) and Frontin (Pharrell Williams) just to name a few. He even does some songs with his brother Ben, who he claims to be one of his biggest musical influences.

One of the coolest things about his live shows (tho I've never been to one YET) is that he doesn't EVER have a set list. He improvises and most of his shows last over two hours. He's super fun to watch because he doesn't just sit still at the piano - he's jumping around, using the top of the piano as a stage AND a drum. He's from London, 28 years old (young talent is awesome) and stands at barely 5'4'' tall!!!

Here is his awesome version of 'High and Dry' by Radiohead - cooler than Radiohead I think!!



Here are a couple of other faves....





Photobucket

"Catching Tales" was released in 2005 with the major single 'Get Your Way.' I like it equally as much as 'Twentysomething' but for different reasons. He did some more songs with his brother and Pharrell Williams, so it's quite jazzy and super fun to listen to. Take a little listen to 'Get Your Way.'



You can always find out more about Jamie at his website: http://www.jamiecullum.com/
I will NEVER get sick of listening to these two albums, but I think he's due for another one soon! Hint hint, Jamie!!

Stay tuned for next weeks music pick! I don't know what it will be yet!

No comments:

About Blogging Molly

My photo
I am a mom to three great kids - Ethan is 12, Abby is 9 and Lulu (Olivia) is 5. I've been married to my highschool sweetheart for almost fourteen years. I love to paint, renovate and live for anything DIY. I love music and I love to bake. I also teach dance at a local studio. Thanks for stopping by my blog!!!

What I'm listening to.....


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

My People